Simplifying And Resolving Your Family Law Needs
Legal issues that affect your family are personal and significant. What your lawyer can accomplish could influence your finances and family relationships for years to come.
The Law Office of Michelle Broughton-Fountain has supported families in the Chicago suburbs through some of the most difficult and complex legal situations of their lives. We take pride in providing our clients with comprehensive representation that is tailored to meet your needs. Compassion drives our Flossmoor-based practice, and we make sure to give you the time and attention you deserve.
We are committed to using our knowledge of Illinois law to help you in your family law case from start to finish. Email our office or call 708-831-1629 to speak to one of our lawyers about your legal matter today.
Let Us Guide You Through Life’s Challenges
We have over 70 years of combined experience in Illinois, resolving cases involving:
- Divorce and legal separation: We will take the time to discuss the divorce process with you so you can understand your options. You can also learn about legal separation and if that may be a more optimal choice than divorce in your situation.
- Protective orders: If a protective order or restraining order needs to be issued when domestic violence is occurring in the home, we can help you submit your request and ensure that all proper documentation is completed so you are safe. We also assist in fighting orders that may have been issued without accurate merit.
- Child custody: When parents are divorcing or are unmarried, there needs to be a determination as to child custody arrangements. Where the child resides, how much time each parent spends with the child and who has decision-making ability for the child are detailed in the custody order.
- Child support: The Illinois child support guidelines detail a formula that is used to calculate child support, which takes into consideration several factors, including the number of children and the income of each parent.
- Spousal support (alimony): Though spousal support is not granted in every case, we can help you understand if it may be possible in your divorce and what potential amount may be paid.
- Modifications: If an existing court order needs to be changed, such as child support, child custody or spousal support, the request for modification must be made through the court.
- Paternity: Establishing paternity is essential to ensure that the proper father is getting the custodial time with the child he deserves and that the appropriate amount of child support is being paid.
- Prenuptial agreements: To protect your assets and property when entering into a marriage, it may be beneficial to have a prenup drafted. We handle the drafting of prenuptial agreements as well as any reviewing or negotiating that may be necessary if you have been presented with one to sign.
In each type of case, we can assess your options and explain your rights. Because we are a small firm, you can work with your dedicated attorney throughout your case.
We Take The Most Peaceful Approach Possible
Depending on your individual situation, you may be worried, stressed or frustrated. Our family law attorneys want to reduce negative emotions and find practical solutions. In many cases, we can avoid litigation by pursuing alternative options, such as negotiation.
Whether you are getting a divorce or advocating for your rights as a parent, a collaborative process can give you several advantages. The main benefit is having more control over the results of your case instead of leaving critical decisions to a judge. It is often more cost-effective as well.
However, negotiation is not always possible. If the other side refuses to compromise, we will protect your interests by any means necessary. We have ample trial experience in civil court. We will fully represent you no matter what your case requires.